7 Steps to Unleashing Your Marketing Genius
There’s zero excuse not to become a marketing genius in the time of the internet age.
The accessibility we have to tools via Facebook’s custom and lookalike audiences, automated tools and research means that anyone with some sound marketing knowledge can become a marketing genius in no time to help increase their exposure and sales. And it doesn’t begin and end with Facebook!
Are you an entrepreneur, business coach, speaker, author or small business owner?
It doesn’t matter; I’ve got you covered.
You see, regardless of the industry you work in, speciality you offer or your location, there are basic fundamentals that will see you exceed all of your sales expectations.
And, today, I’ve pulled together my top 7 strategies on becoming a genius marketer that are tried and tested, along with the latest trends that are yielding serious results.
Let’s dive in by understanding the most critical element – your ascension marketing model.
1. Ascension Marketing Model
If you’ve read my latest bestselling book, Flee 9 to 5 you now fully understand how critical the ascension marketing model is to any business. With the likes of Apple Computers and Steve Jobs executing one of the most profitable models in the world, it’s not hard to see its impact on any size business.
The ascension marketing model leads your customers through your sales process, starting with your free opt in offer. Once they take up your offer you can then lead them towards buying your products. Once they have purchased, usually one of your least expensive offerings, you funnel them through towards your most expensive. It works because you are meeting your customer’s needs and letting them discover your products or services without having to go to great expense.
The more prospective customers you can encourage to opt in, the more opportunities for conversion you create, so work on developing a tempting opt-in offer.
Hit play now and watch a short video I filmed exclusively for Entrepreneur Magazine in the U.S. that helps explain it in an easy-to-understand way.
2. Segmentation / Autopilot & the Technology to Power Your 6-7 Figure Sales Machine
Now, whilst a lot of individuals just want to ‘plug & play’ (set-up a long series of emails that are triggered on auto-pilot that convert your prospects to clients), the reality is slightly different. Genius marketers don’t just send emails to their ‘entire’ list simply because they subscribed to it for a free bonus. Genius marketers segment their lists based on their customer’s behaviour. For example;
- The link they clicked on
- The e-book they downloaded
- The article they read
- The product they did / or did not purchase
- The shopping cart order they completed / or abandoned
- Up-selling them when they are in the buying mindset
Responding to ‘actual’ behaviour instead of assuming how an actual prospect will behave is far more effective. You follow their lead and your online marketing system is built around this to achieve it.
3. Facebook Custom / Lookalike Audiences
One of the biggest unutilised resources in online marketing today is Facebook’s Power Editor and Custom / Lookalike Audience options. If you haven’t been privy to what these are, you’re in for a treat. However if you are, then keep reading because you’ll gain a better understanding of how to use it in your business.
You will find Power Editor in your Adverts Manager panel.
Then click on “create audience.”
Upload your existing database to Facebook Audiences which creates a custom audience. You can then use that list to create a lookalike audience, which are new hot prospects that are the same or similar demographic to those who are currently subscribing to your database.
Just select the audience you’d like to replicate and upload it.
Once your list is uploaded you can click on create audience, select Lookalike Audience, and Facebook will create a list of prospects which are similar to those on your list by pulling from their expansive banks of research on individuals buying behaviour. In my own testing I’ve been consistently achieving over 2,000% return on investment simply by creating a ‘lookalike’ audience.
This allows you to market directly to your custom lists with a special offer, or to attract new customers through a campaign to your lookalikes.
You can also create a custom audience from your website. Embed a pixel on your confirmation page after someone makes a purchase. The pixel records the visit and matches this customer to their unique identity on Facebook, creating a Custom Audience.
You can also add the pixel to every page of your website if you choose to, and then you can develop a Facebook marketing campaign to reach your prospects, no matter where they are in the buying cycle. For example, you could create a campaign promoting a specific product to anyone who has looked at that product on your site. It’s very clever.
You can read more about creating a pixel on Facebook’s Help page.
4. Content Creation Ideas
Do you look at your Facebook status and draw a blank as to what you should type to engage, educate and convert your fan base? You’re not alone. Content creation and of course distribution is an essential part of ‘every’ businesses marketing strategy.
Don’t be left on the back foot.
What kind of content should you post?
- Content which educates your readers about who you are and what you do.
- Content that shows how you can help readers solve a burning problem.
- Content which shows why you do what you do – what motivates you.
- Content that shows your knowledge and boosts your credibility.
- Content that boosts connection, builds relationships and encourages conversation with your readers and followers.
- Above all, content that converts. Don’t be so caught up in writing posts that you forget to include a call to action. Sometimes you just need to tell people what you want them to do.
How do you come up with content ideas?
The best way is to pay attention to what people are talking about or questioning. That’s where content curation is important. When you curate content, you gather together a variety of information in the one place. Use a system like Feedly or Inbound.org to collect the information for you. You can look at:
- Status Updates
- Infographics – ever increasing trend
- Pictures / Quotes
Each of these sources of information will give you a feel for what’s hot out there.
The best places for coming up with fresh content ideas include:
- The headlines from magazine covers
- Tap into online tools such as Google Trends to be at the top of your industries wave
- Creating surveys and asking your database what they are struggling with / would like to achieve
- Collecting ideas using Evernote’s Web Clip tool
Evernote is an app that has been designed to help you collect and store all the bits and pieces of information that you see online. It even synchs between your computer and mobile devices, storing your data on the cloud. You can store photos, videos, whole web pages and news clippings. They can be sorted into folders for easy finding and each piece can even have your own notes attached to it, so you can capture your thoughts for later use. It’s just like having your own external memory in place.
99.9% of content creation and ideas come from what’s working out in the marketplace currently so get out and take a good look around.
5. Content Distribution
Only 50% of companies have a content marketing strategy in place, and according to information on PRWEB, almost 70% of B2B content created goes unused, probably because they don’t know what to do with it.
So, what DO you do with all your content?
You share it around, of course, and there are a number of ways you can do that.
- You can schedule your content to be shared via 3rd party apps like Hootsuite or Buffer which can then distribute your material across a different platforms at once. Facebook no longer penalises you for using 3rd party apps to schedule your posts and when you scroll through the news feed it’s impossible to tell which are live and which posts are pre-scheduled. That means you have no excuse not to start sharing your content.
- Don’t forget that you can also schedule posts right there within Facebook. Facebook wants you to use their platform so they can collect millions of dollars’ worth of data, data that you can benefit from by using the Facebook Power Editor.
- I use Get Friday to assist in the distribution of my content across various platforms. It takes the load off my shoulders and leaves me free to focus on the rest of my business.
- Use ‘promoted posts’ on Facebook to bump your content up in the newsfeed, and when you promote the post, be ensure to target not only your current Facebook Fans, but new ones by choosing your target audience.
- Send your content out to your database via email marketing campaigns. Emails have an ROI of around 4,300% and good content will ensure those emails are opened and read.
- Don’t forget Twitter. It may only have 140 characters available to you, but that just means you have to craft a clever and intriguing post linking to your content to get those fingers clicking.
- LinkedIn is a platform which is often overlooked and recently it has changed to allow any member to post content there. Even better, if it’s great content, LinkedIn is likely to share it to a greater audience giving you much bigger reach.
- Re-purpose the content into various formats. Think about infographics, video, articles, tele-seminars. Don’t just use it once, there’s far more value in it to do that.
6. Direct Sales Vs Delayed Results – How to Sell a Product That Hasn’t Been Selling
The Ascension Marketing Model can create a slight delay in converting sales, hence it’s critical to consistently be driving hot prospects straight to a sales landing page. My preferred means of conversion is video and using a direct marketing message. Now, before you scoff at doing an infomercial style promotion, understand what the ‘real’ not ‘assumed’ sales results are from this specific format.
Take a look at these statistics.
- Website visitors are 64% more likely to buy a product on an online retail site after watching a video
- 80% of Internet users recall watching a video ad on a website they visited in the past 30 days. Of that 80%, 46% took some form of action:
- 26% looked for more information about the subject of the video
- 22% visited the website named in the ad
- 15% visited the company represented in the video ad
- 12% purchased the specific product featured in the ad
Understand that to convert straight from traffic, your product must be at the right price point. So, if you’re marketing on Facebook to individuals who have never heard of you / your product / service before, then it’s highly unlikely you’ll see high conversion rates, or that it will be profitable for products over a $30 price point. A $10 product with a subscription plan after that, in which the total price is over $100, converts insanely well from Facebook adverts, combined with a well-scripted video message.
Products / services that aren’t currently selling via Facebook ads due to their price point, can swiftly be re-packaged and re-marketed with insane results. It’s about math, not guesswork.
7. Outsourcing – Your Cost Effective Support Network
If you want your business to make a profit, you need to understand that you can’t do it all by yourself. You need a support network to do the things you dislike or don’t have time for because you should not be wasting your time on things that can be outsourced for a few dollars. Your time is too valuable.
Even if you are a good writer, a copywriter is good at communicating to sell. They will help build relationships with your customers without having to hit them with a sales pitch. They are also likely to know more about SEO than you are, and that will make the search engines love you. Once your content has been crafted, your support network can distribute it for you.
Each article that I write and have edited by a copywriter can produce instantaneous sales results, because it allows me to immediately assert my knowledge and show the practical application of that knowledge.
So there you have it – my 7 steps to unleashing your marketing genius.
Build your ascension marketing model, know each segment of your list and create marketing campaigns to meet their needs, create really useful content and use the tools available to you through Facebook or outsourcing. If you can master these steps you will be leader of the pack, surging way ahead of your competitors.
To put these steps into place you may need to revisit your existing marketing plan. Click here now to checkout my 30 Day Business Turnaround Program.
Over 30 consecutive days, I will show you, step-by-step, how to create a marketing plan that will explode your business and add thousands to your profit by incorporating these 7 steps and more.
So, the internet is waiting for you to show off your marketing genius.
Are you ready to let it loose?
Leave a comment below and let me know. 🙂